The President automatically ascends from President-Elect and serves a one-year term.
The President serves as the Chairperson of the CCIAOR Board of Directors and the CCIAOR Executive Committee. The CCIAOR President may be called upon to serve as a spokesperson for the Association and is expected to attend CCIAOR special events and programs. Additionally, when called on by the CEO, the President is expected to participate in the following state and national meetings as a representative of CCIAOR:
- NAR Legislative Meetings (May)
- MAR Convention (September)
- NAR Convention (November)
The President will assume the role of Immediate Past President the following year. To view the role and responsibilities of the CCIAOR Immediate Past President, click here.
As President of CCIAOR, this individual will have the following responsibilities:
Governance of Association Structures and Organizational Operations
- Collaborate with Staff and Management: Determine the association's future direction and cultivate a culture to empower staff to execute the strategic plan; leadership allows for internal organizational structure to be created and managed by staff.
- Develop Association Strategy and Goals: Determine the association's strategic vision; direct chief staff executive in developing association goals; monitor goal implementation
- Facilitate Implementation of Objectives and Operations: Lead the Board of Directors in determining the association's vision and strategic outcomes; manage the Board’s relationship with the CEO
- Develop Committees: Consider recommendations from the chief staff executive on which committees, task forces or working groups will be formed to implement objectives identified by the Board of Directors; recommend appointments of members to all committees, tasks forces and working groups to the Board of Directors and makes all chair appointments.
- Review Budget: Lead the Board of Directors in approving a comprehensive budget as developed by staff; empower chief staff executive to make budget adjustments within established guidelines.
- Support Member Recruitment, Retention, and Orientation: Provide leadership support for new member recruitment, retention, and orientation efforts;
- Develop Strategic Analysis: Lead the association in an ongoing analysis that envisions, identifies, and implements strategic initiatives based on member needs.
- Exhibit Leadership in Networking Activities: Assume a visible leadership role at association programs and functions.
Internal and External Relations
- Support and Develop Volunteer Leaders: Develop relationships and foster communication with committee chairs and other volunteer leaders; Work with chief staff executive to identify, develop and nurture future volunteer leaders.
- Cultivate Synergistic Relationships: Work with chief staff executive in fostering effective and synergistic relationships with the following: local government leaders and legislators, service providers, vendors, consultants, contractors, influential and market share members/industry leaders, allied real estate groups who view the association as an industry leader, media, community groups, allied organizations and culturally diverse groups with an eye on building and leading political and business coalitions, and other advocacy groups.
- Promote Political Awareness Activities: Support and promote the association's political awareness and fundraising plan as a significant component of the organization's activities.
- Promote Government Advocacy Activities: Assume a leadership role, in partnership with the state and/or national associations, to support government advocacy activities in the community.
The Board of Directors is responsible for governing CCIAOR. The Board steers the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies, as well as by making sure CCIAOR has adequate resources to advance its mission.
Responsibilities of Board Members include:
- Attend the Leadership Orientation program in January and Board of Director meetings on a monthly basis (the 2021 President will set the schedule for meetings in 2021);
- Adhere to the Policy Manual and Bylaws and fulfill fiduciary duties of care, loyalty and obedience;
- Determine and advance CCIAOR’s mission, purpose and strategic plan and shape the development of policies and initiatives that keep the organization on track;
- Conduct organizational planning, ensure adequate resources and provide resource and financial oversight including approval of the annual budget;
- Promote the organization and the value of being a REALTOR® and serve as a communication liaison between CCIAOR and its REALTOR® and affiliate members;
- Keep abreast of technology, business and regulatory changes that impact CCIAOR and its REALTOR® and affiliate members.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity and maintain accountability;
- Support the CEO and staff and assess the performance of CCIAOR;
- Be an active participant in CCIAOR activities and programs;
- Help develop future leaders;
- Provide oversight of the Cape Cod & Islands Multiple Listing Service - CCIMLS (CCIAOR is the single shareholder of CCIMLS).